Catalog » Current Catalog » Transfer Information » Transfer to the University of California

View Print/PDF

Transfer to the University of California

Berkeley - Davis - Irvine - Los Angeles - Merced - Riverside - San Diego - San Francisco - Santa Barbara - Santa Cruz 

Uniform Entrance Requirements

Nine of the 10 University of California campuses have uniform entrance requirements and certain features in common. Each campus is also distinctive and not all majors are offered on all campuses. Students should study the list of undergraduate colleges, schools, and majors available on each campus to determine which will best satisfy their educational needs. Students may find it helpful to discuss with a counselor the particular advantages each campus has to offer.

Admission from Community Colleges

It is expected that students transferring from community colleges will have completed the entrance requirements described in University of California publications and catalogs.

Students who were eligible for admission to the University of California based upon high school grade point average, SAT, or ACT scores and subject pattern completion, may be eligible to transfer with less than 60 college semester units (lower division transfer). However, the student must maintain a C average while attending Allan Hancock College. Most campuses of the UC system will not accept lower division transfer students. 

Check with a University Transfer Center (UTC) counselor to determine available options. Students who met the grade point average requirements, but were ineligible for admission to the university from high school because of subject matter deficiencies, must complete a minimum of 12 acceptable units with a GPA of 2.00 or better and have completed or made up missing college preparatory subject A grade of C or better (C- is not acceptable) is required in each course used to make up a deficiency. Students who were ineligible for admission to the university from high school based upon both grade point average and subject deficiencies must have 60 UC transferable semester units including two approved courses in English composition; one approved UC transferable math course; and four approved UC transferable courses from at least two areas in arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences, and biological and physical sciences. The UC list of eligible courses is available in the UTC. A minimum 2.4 grade point average is required in all transferable coursework. Students who meet these minimum standards, while eligible for admission to a UC campus, may not be accepted to a specific major or department. In the case of impacted majors and/or campuses, other selection criteria are also used. Students who have questions regarding their eligibility should check with the Counseling department and/or the UTC.

A maximum of 70 community college semester units will be accepted for transfer by the university. Units earned at four-year colleges will be evaluated separately by UC for acceptance. In the Announcement of Courses section of this catalog, courses that are transferable to the University of California are identified. In addition, a list of Hancock courses acceptable at all university campuses is available in the UTC.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC Certification) Requirements

The Intersegmental Committee of the Academic Senates approved the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC), which was implemented fall 1991. The IGETC is a series of courses that community college students can use to satisfy lower division general education requirements at any CSU or UC campus. The IGETC provides an option to the California State University General Education Requirements and replaces the University of California Transfer Core Curriculum. The IGETC will permit a student to transfer from a community college to a campus in either the California State University or the University of California system without the need, after transfer, to take additional lower-division general education courses to satisfy the university’s general education requirements.

In order to facilitate the transfer of Hancock students who plan to attend a campus of the University of California or California State University system, certification of IGETC requirements may include previously completed courses from other institutions as well as courses completed in residence.

Courses completed at other campuses of the California community colleges must be certified in accordance with the pattern of the source institution. It is the student’s responsibility to provide: a) an official copy of his/her/their external transcript(s); and b) a dated general education certification pattern from the source institution which coincides with the term or terms in which such courses were completed.

Courses that have been completed at a regionally-accredited institution other than a California community college will be included only under the following circumstances:

  1. The student provides an official transcript, catalog description(s) and, if required, dated course outline(s);
  2. The course is determined to be equivalent to a course in Hancock's IGETC pattern through the pass- along process and the student completed the course with a C grade or better.

Unit and subject matter credit for Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams will be included in the IGETC certification in accordance with the Intersegmental Committee of the Academic Senate’s Standards, Policies and Procedures for IGETC document. Students wishing to use units awarded for AP or IB should check with the Counseling department or UTC.

Generally, the evaluation and certification of general education requirements is done only once. In those cases where, for some reason, a revision is needed, the student may be required to pay a fee of $10 for the service.

Completion of the IGETC is not a requirement for transfer to a CSU or UC, nor is it the only way to fulfill the lower-division general education requirements of the CSU or UC prior to transfer. Some students, particularly those students majoring in engineering, computer science, or other high unit majors, may find it advantageous to take courses fulfilling those of the native GE pattern of the CSU or UC campus that they are transferring to.

IGETC NOTE: No course can be counted in more than one area. All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better (C- is not acceptable).

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum

The 2023-2024 approved Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum is shown below.

Area 1 English Communication

1A English Composition [3] {1}

ENGL 101

1B Critical Thinking [3] {1}

ENGL 103 #Fall 96

PHIL 114 #Fall 93

1C (CSU Only) Oral Communication [3] {1}

SPCH 101, 102, 106 #Spring 05

Area 2 Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning [3] {1}

MATH 123*, 131*, 135*, 141*, 181*, 182, 183, 184

Area 3 Arts and Humanities [9] {3}

3A Arts [3] {1}

ART 101, 103, 104, 105, 106

DANC 101

DRMA 103, 110, 111

FILM 101, 102, 107

MUS 100, 101, 102, 104, 106 #Spring 05

PHTO 101

3B Humanities [3] {1}

ASL 121 #Fall 02, 138 #Fall 03

ENGL 102 #Fall 96, 130, 131, 132 #Fall 99, 133, 135,

138 #Spring 05, 139 #Fall 99, 140 #Fall 19, 144 #Fall 08, 145, 146,

148 #Fall 96

FILM 103 #Spring 06, 104#Fall 18, 109 #Fall 19, 119 #Fall 19

FRCH 102 #Fall 02

HIST 101 #Fall 95, 102 #Fall 96, 104, 105, 138 #Fall 03

HUM 101 #Fall 95, 102 #Fall 96, 104

#Fall 96,105 #Fall 96

PHIL 101, 102, 105, 121, 122

SPAN 102, 103, 104, 112 #Spring 07 

Area 4 –Social and Behavioral Sciences [9] {3}

(2 different disciplines)

AJ 101

ANTH 102, 103

BUS 141 #S05

ECON 101, 102, 141 #S05

ECS 100, 101

ES 101, 107, 120, 121

GBST 101, 141 #S05

GEOG 102, 103

HIST 101 #F13, 102 #F14, 103 #S07, 107, 108, 118, 119, 120 #F99, 121 #F23

HUM 101 #F13, 102 #F14, 103 #S07

LGBT 101 #F21, 102 #F21

POLS 101, 103, 104, 105

PSY 101, 105 #F14,112, 113, 117, 118, 119 #F14, 121 #F13

SOC 101, 102, 104 #F05, 110, 120, 155, 160 #F08

SPCH 110 #S06 

Area 5 Physical and Biological Sciences [7] {2}

(1 lab required)

5A Physical Science {1}

ASTR 100

CHEM 120, 150, 151, 180, 181

GEOG 101, 110

GEOL 100, 111 #F23, 114, 131 #Fall 02, 141 #Fall 02

PHSC 111*, 112*

PHYS 100, 110*, 141*, 142*, 161*, 162*, 163*

5B Biological Science {1}

AG 152, 161

ANTH 101, 110 #Spring 06

BIOL 100', 120, 124, 125, 128 #F23, 132, 150, 154, 155

5C Biological Science {1}

ANTH 110


One laboratory course from Area 5A or 5B

Area 6 (University of California only) Proficiency in a

language other than English or

ASL 120 #F02, 121#S10, 124#S10

FRCH 101, 102#S10

SPAN 101, 102, 103 #F05, 104 #F05, 112 #S07

Area 7 Ethnic Studies {3} {1}

ES 120, 121

HIST 120


* means there may be a unit limitation means it transfers as a lab/activity/practice course [ ] means a minimum number of units is required

{ } means a minimum number of courses is required

# can use if taken indicated semester or later

CSU Graduation Requirement in U.S. History and American Institutions

Not part of IGETC; may be completed prior to transfer, six units, one course in political science (POLS 101 or 103) and one course in history (HIST 107* or 108* or 118*). Courses used to meet this requirement may be used to satisfy requirements for IGETC.

*Indicates that transfer credit may be limited by either UC or CSU.  Please consult with a counselor for more information.