Home » Current Catalog » Student Services » Grant Programs

View Print/PDF

Grant Programs

California College Promise Grant 

California community colleges provide the California College Promise Grant for students who need assistance paying enrollment fees. Enrollment fees will be paid for the academic year (summer, fall, winter and spring semesters), whether taking one class or a full-time load. California residents or AB 540 students may be eligible for a grant if any one of the following criteria is met:

  1. Complete a FAFSA or Dream Act application for financial aid;
  2. Student or family is receiving CalWORKs, SSI (Supplemental Security Income) or General Assistance/ General Relief; or
  3. Meet prescribed low-income guidelines published annually by the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office.

Dependents of deceased or disabled veterans who are eligible for benefits under the California Veterans Dependents Educational Assistance program can also have their fees waived with a grant.

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant Program is the largest federal student grant program. Pell Grants range in amounts from $657 to $6,195 (assuming full-time enrollment). Although $6,195 is the maximum Pell Grant scheduled award, a student may be eligible to receive Pell Grant funds for up to 150 percent of the student's Pell scheduled award. The student must meet certain conditions under the Year Round Pell regulations to qualify for the 150 percent award. You may contact the Financial Aid office for further information. A student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid FAFSA to qualify for a Pell Grant. The student must be in an  eligible program and enrolled in course required for that program in order to receive this grant. Eligibility for a Pell Grant is determined by the federal government according to a formula developed by the U.S. Department of Education and approved annually by Congress. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program is designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students who qualify for additional assistance. These grants range from $150 to $750. All students who apply for financial aid are automatically considered for the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant as long as funds are available. A student must complete the FAFSA to be considered for this grant. The student must be in an eligible program and taking course required for that program in order to receive this grant.

Cal Grants A, B, C (State Grants)

These are three state grant programs available through the California Student Aid Commission. To qualify for a Cal Grant A, B, or C, a student must complete a FAFSA or Dream Act application to have their eligibility determined by the California Student Aid Commission. A student may accept only one Cal Grant. A full-time student may receive a Cal Grant for a maximum of four years. In order to complete an associate degree in two years, a student needs to take 15 units per semester or 30 units per year.

Cal Grant A

Cal Grant A helps low- and middle-income students with tuition/fee costs. Grant recipients are selected on the basis of financial need and grade point average. The grant will be held in reserve for students who attend a public community college until transfer to a four-year college. The grant amount will vary depending on the tuition and fess charged by the four-year college. To be eligible for a new (first-time) Cal Grant A, a student may not have completed more than six semesters, or nine quarters of college study, and must enroll at least half time.

Cal Grant B

Cal Grant B provides a living allowance for students with very low incomes. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 is required for assistance. The maximum award for a full-time student is  $1,672. Nearly all Cal Grant B awards are available only to students who have completed less than one semester of full- time or 16 units of part-time study. There are a limited number of special Cal Grant B awards authorized for community college students transferring to four-year colleges. To be eligible for this special award, an applicant may not have completed more than six semesters or nine quarters of college study.

Cal Grant C

Cal Grant C helps vocational school students with tuition and training costs. The maximum amount of the grant for a full-time student is $547. Training-related costs include special clothing, tools, equipment, books, supplies, and transportation. Recipients must be enrolled in a vocational program at a community college, independent college or vocational school, in a program of study from four months to two years in length.

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

The SSCG pays full-time Cal Grant recipients $1,298 annually for 12 to 14 units per term and $4,000 annually for 15 units or more units per term. Only full-time students receiving Cal Grant B or Cal Grant C can receive this grant.

Financial Aid Disbursement

Students who are eligible for federal and state student financial aid such as federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, Direct Student Loans, and Cal Grant will only be eligible for aid based on the number of units the student is enrolled in as of the freeze date for each semester. The freeze date is determined by the financial aid office to be five days after the census date for semester length classes. Retroactive disbursements, for semesters that have already ended, will be made to eligible students based on the number of units completed for that semester. Retroactive Cal Grant disbursements, for semesters that have already ended, will be made to eligible students based upon the number of units successfully completed ("D" grade or higher) for that semester.

Retaking Coursework in Term Programs

Students may receive federal and state aid for only one course repetition after a course has been satisfactorily passed ("D" grade or higher). Students may continued to be paid for repeatedly failed courses. However, Satisfactory Academic Policy (SAP) will apply to those courses. If a student withdraws before completing the course that they are being paid federal and state funds for retaking, then that is not counted as one allowed retake for that class. However, if a student passed a class once, then is repaid for retaking the class and fails the second time, that failure counts as their paid retake and the student may not be paid for retaking the class a third time. If you are retaking a course, you may wish to contact the Financial Aid office regarding payment eligibility for that course.

Programs and Courses not Eligible for Financial Aid

Students within certain academic programs or taking courses within those programs are not eligible to receive federal aid or Cal Grants. For the 2019/20 academic year, Cosmetology, Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), and Registered Veterinary Technician/Veterinary Technology programs  are not eligible. All 400 level course are not eligible for federal and state aid.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) Grant

(Allan Hancock College Board Policy 5150)

This state-funded program offers academically and educationally disadvantaged students “over and above” services in academic counseling, extra tutoring, peer advising and other ongoing support services to assist students in attaining their educational goals. Financial assistance for books and child care are also available for those who qualify.

Law Enforcement Personnel Dependent Scholarships

This grant program provides educational benefits to the dependents of California police and other law enforcement officers (Highway Patrol, county sheriffs, and correctional officers) who have been killed or totally disabled in the line of duty. The death or disablement must have been the result of an accident or injury caused by external violence or physical force, incurred in the performance of duty. Grants range from $100 to $1,500 per year with a maximum of $6,000 in a six-year period. Write directly to the California Student Aid Commission, P.O. Box 419027, Rancho Cordova, CA, 95814, for application materials. You may also call 1-888-CA-GRANT (888-224-7268).

Aid for American Indians

The Bureau of Indian Affairs provides federal grants to assist in meeting the costs of attending college. In order to qualify, the student must be at least one-fourth Native American, Eskimo or Aleut, must enroll full time, and must show financial need. Native American students must apply through their tribe, home agency or area office of Indian Education.