Home » Current Catalog » Programs

View Print/PDF


Award Type: Associate in Science for Transfer

The Associate in Science in Chemistry for Transfer prepares students to begin upper-division coursework leading to a baccalaureate degree in chemistry at the California State University. The University of California typically requires the addition of multivariable calculus and differential equations for chemistry transfers. Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements Completion of 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including the following: A. The completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE). [The following Allan Hancock College graduation requirements will not be required: Health and Wellness, Multicultural Gender Studies and Allan Hancock College General Education] B. A minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district. C. Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0 with all courses in the major being completed with a grade of “c” or better.

The graduate of the Associate in Science for Transfer in Chemistry will:

  • Demonstrate mastery of the approach and rationale of the scientific method and be able to apply these principles to solve problems.
  • Demonstrate mastery of stoichiometric calculations.
  • Demonstrate mastery of laboratory techniques.

Program Requirements

A major of 36 units is required for the degree.

Course Number Course Title Units
CHEM 150 General Chemistry 1 5.0
CHEM 151 General Chemistry 2 5.0
CHEM 180 Organic Chemistry I 5.0
CHEM 181 Organic Chemistry II 5.0
MATH 181 Calculus 1 4.0
MATH 182 Calculus 2 4.0
PHYS 161 Engineering Physics 1 4.0
PHYS 163 Engineering Physics 3 4.0

General Education

Complete the following:

a) Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) for STEM - 31 units

Double Counting:
A maximum of 7 units can be double counted for the major and general education units.

Complete additional CSU transferrable courses as needed to achieve 60 units required for the degree - 0 units

Visit myHancock and click on the DegreeWorks icon.to view CSU or IGETC general education and transferrable courses.