Agricultural Plant Science
Award Type: Associate in Science for TransferThe Associate in Science for Transfer in Agricultural Plant Science provides an educational foundation for persons aspiring to careers in Agriculture. It prepares students for further studies toward a California State University (CSU) baccalaureate degree in Agriculture, Agricultural and Environmental Plant Sciences, Agricultural Science, Plant Science, Agriculture Education, and Agriculture Studies. Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements Completion of 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including the following: 1. Completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth (CSU GE). 2. A minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis as determined by the community college district. 3, Obtainment of an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0. 4. Minimum grade of C, or P grade, for each course in the major. [The following Allan Hancock College graduation requirements will not be required: Health and Wellness, Multicultural Gender Studies and Allan Hancock College General Education.]
The graduate of the Associate in Science for Transfer in Agricultural Plant Science will:
- Apply current agricultural industry standards in the agricultural sciences or related fields.
- Assess and differentiate effects of agricultural activities in plant cropping systems, while describing alternative practices in order to make sound agricultural decisions that ensure the quality and success of a crop.
- Employ effective business, sales, marketing, and communication skills when presented with an agribusiness or farm management situation.
- Demonstrate comprehension of soils, fertilizers, plant nutrition, and current industry growing techniques and apply this understanding to successfully raise horticultural crops.
- Analyze current market trends, costs, and inputs, to provide sustainable solutions in farming systems.
- Understand the importance, value, characteristics and physiology of higher plants.
A major of 22 units is required for the associate in science for transfer in agricultural plant science.
Required core courses (22 units):
|Course Number||Course Title||Units|
|AG 125||Soils and Plant Nutrition||4.0|
|CHEM 120||Introductory Chemistry||4.0|
|AG 158||Agricultural Economics||3.0|
|MATH 123||Elementary Statistics||4.0|
|AG 161||Introduction to Plant Science||4.0|
|AG 160||Plant Propagation and Production||3.0|
Complete one of the following:
a) CSU General Education Breadth: 39 units, or
b) Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC): 37 units
Double Counting - Total units that may be counted for the major and general education requirements: 6 units.
Electives - Complete additional CSU transferrable elective units as needed to total 60 units required for the degree: 5-7 units.