Home » Current Catalog » Course Information » Course Descriptions and Numbering

View Print/PDF

Course Descriptions and Numbering

Students should familiarize themselves with the information given below about the course descriptions. Courses are listed alphabetically. Each course is designated by a prefix and number. A descriptive title and the unit value follow the course number. The semester in which the course is usually offered is noted at the end of the course description following the grading option. See the key at the end of this section.

Course Numbering System: Courses numbered 100-199 are baccalaureate- level courses and will transfer to the California State University system and other four-year institutions. Please note that some of these courses would not be appropriate for specific majors or for the general education requirements for graduation. Students should check the current catalog of the institution of transfer to determine which courses are appropriate.

Courses numbered 300-399 are intended for certificate and associate degree programs. In some cases, with special arrangements, they may be acceptable for transfer to some four-year universities.

Courses numbered 400-499 are primarily vocational credit courses that are not applicable to the associate degree programs and do not transfer to four-year institutions.

Courses numbered 500-599 are college preparatory in nature and are not applicable to the associate degree programs and do not transfer to four-year institutions.

Courses numbered 7000-7999 are noncredit courses  in the areas of elementary and secondary reading, mathematics, and language arts; courses in English as a second language (ESL), including vocational ESL; short term vocational courses, workforce preparation courses; courses in citizenship for immigrants; and parenting,  Noncredit courses do not provide units of credit and are not applicable to the associate degree and do not transfer to four-year institutions.

Cooperative Work Experience: Occupational (149) courses provide on-the-job learning related to a student’s educational or occupational goals, and are offered by numerous disciplines. See “Cooperative Work Experience” for a more complete description.  Occupational cooperative work experience course offerings, when available,  are listed in the schedule of classes under the specific discipline and are identified by a specific  course number e.g. BUS 149, EMS 149, etc.

Cooperative Work Experience: General (302) provide on-the-job learning.  See “Cooperative Work Experience” for a more complete description.  General cooperative work experience course offerings, when available, are listed in the schedule of classes and are identified as CWE 302.  

Experimental Courses (179, 379, 479, and 579) are courses designed in specific disciplines to test new curriculum before adopting it as part of an academic program. See “Experimental Courses” for a more complete description of the concept.  

Independent Projects (189/389): These courses are academic opportunities for students who are capable of independent work and who demonstrate the need or desire for additional study beyond the regular curriculum. See “Independent Projects” for a more complete description of the concept and in the schedule of classes for discipline specific course offerings (e.g. BIOL 189, AB 389, etc.)

Special Topics Courses (199/399/499/599): Formerly known as “Institutes” or “Topics In,” these courses are designed to meet specific and unique curriculum need within the college’s service area. These courses address a specific topic relating to a discipline and are not offered on a regular cycle (not within a two-year period). These courses are not included in any major core.

Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID)

The Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID) is a statewide numbering system independent from the course numbers assigned by local California community colleges. A C-ID number next to a course signals that participating California colleges and universities have determined that courses offered by other California community colleges are comparable in content and scope to courses offered on their own campuses, regardless of their unique titles or local course number. Thus, if a schedule of classes or catalog lists a course bearing a C-ID number, for example COMM 110, students at that college can be assured that it will be accepted in lieu of a course bearing the C-ID COMM 110 designation at another community college. In other words, the C-ID designation can be used to identify comparable courses at different community colleges. However, students should always go to www.assist.org to confirm how each college’s course will be accepted at a particular four-year college or university for transfer credit.

The C-ID numbering system is useful for students attending more than one community college and is applied to many of the transferable courses students need as preparation for transfer. Because these course requirements may change and because courses may be modified and qualified for or deleted from the C-ID database, students should always check with a counselor to determine how C-ID designated courses fit into their educational plans for transfer.

Students may consult the ASSIST database at www.assist.org for specific information on C-ID course designations. Counselors can always help students interpret or explain this information.

Acceptable for Credit: This designation identifies the credit status of a course and unit transferability to the CSU and UC systems.

C Credit not degree-applicable - units of credit not applicable to associate degree or transfer to four-year universities.

D Credit degree-applicable - units of credit applicable to degree programs.

Transfer to CSU - accepted towards graduation at all California State University campuses.

Transfer to CSU-CL (Credit Limitation) – limited number of units accepted towards graduation at all California State University campuses.

Transfer to UC - accepted towards graduation at all University of California campuses.

Transfer to UC – CL (Credit Limitation) - limited number of units accepted towards graduation at all University of California campuses.

UC–DAT (Determined after Transfer) acceptance towards graduation at the UC campus is determined after the student has transferred. Course units may not be applied for the UC 60-unit admission requirement.

Course Requirements: Course descriptions include skill requirements or recommended levels of preparation as follows:

Prerequisite: A prerequisite is a course (or equivalent skills or prior experience) that a student must complete with a grade of “C” or better (or possess) before enrolling in a more advanced course. A prerequisite is a course needed before a student may register for a subsequent course. If a student believes the prerequisite has been met by other means, an appeal for prerequisite equivalency can be filed with the dean of counseling. 

NOTE: Approval of equivalent course or prior experience used to satisfy enrollment eligibility in advanced public safety courses, such as fire technology, law enforcement, and others,  is not a guarantee that state regulatory and licensing authorities will also grant equivalency for licensure or employment purposes.

Corequisite: A corequisite is a course that must be taken prior to or at the same time the student is enrolling in the desired course. 

Advisory: An advisory is a course that a student is encouraged, but not required, to take before enrolling in a more advanced course. The advisory course will, in all likelihood, enhance a student’s learning in the advanced course.

Limitation on Enrollment: Enrollment is subject to limitations based on reasons of:

  1. health and safety; or
  2. in cases of intercollegiate competition or public performance courses, allocation of available seats to those students judged most qualified and providing such courses are not core requirements for a major or a general education requirement for which there is no other course available;
  3. or one or more sections of a course are limited to a cohort of students when other sections of the same course are available for open enrollment.

To Be Arranged (TBA) Courses: Some courses have “to be arranged” (TBA) components and/or may be offered via distance learning (DL).

TBA components require participation in a minimum number of hours each week (for semester length courses), or minimum number of hours each day (for shorter terms), in addition to the scheduled days and times designated in the schedule of classes. Regular participation is required of all students in courses with TBA components and/or classes offered via distance learning. For detailed information about participation requirements, visit www.hancockcollege.edu and select the class schedule to search. After finding the course section of interest, select the blue class CRN for complete details.

Field Trips: Certain courses have field trips scheduled as a regular part of the course. Some of these trips are scheduled for the evening, and some for Saturdays or other days when the college is not usually in session. These trips are scheduled far enough in advance to give the student ample time for planning. Unless specifically advised otherwise, students are responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from the class site. The district assumes no liability or responsibility neither for the transportation nor for any person driving a personal vehicle who is not an agent of the district.

Grading Options:

P/NP- pass/no pass

GR/P/NP- letter grade or pass/no pass

GR- letter grade only

Travel Courses: The possibility of offering enriched experiences to students through travel in both the United States and in foreign countries has been recognized by the college, and certain courses may be presented as travel classes during vacation time. Any travel class offered is equivalent to the same offering on campus and the student workload and testing is comparable to that on campus. The college assumes no responsibility for travel expenses living costs or incidental expenses incurred by anyone participating in a travel class. Because of enrollment demands, expenses, housing and travel arrangements and other special considerations, travel classes will be offered only when student interest and other factors make them appropriate.

Semester in which a course is usually offered:

F  = fall only

S  = spring only

U  = summer only

F1 = fall, odd years

F2 = fall, even years S1 = spring, odd years S2 = spring, even years A   = as needed